Lumentra is seeking a senior-level executive to lead its research and development efforts. The CTO will set the company’s new product development agenda, develop, and execute the R&D program to support that, and identify and pursue partnership opportunities. She/he will also provide scientific guidance and support to the company leadership, lead a dedicated team of scientists, engineers, and research interns for new product development, manage the entire research operations, and develop and maintain collaborative research projects with university research partners. The candidate will also oversee the regulatory process for new products.
Lumentra promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Newcomers to Canada, Visible minorities
- Lead new product development in photocatalytic nanomaterials.
- Lead a team of chemists, engineers, and optical technologists. Hire and manage research interns.
- Build strong, mutually productive relationships with clients and outside stakeholders. Provide guidance and assistance to the executive team on existing and/or evolving partnerships.
- Develop and manage research collaborations and enhance the company’s relationships with academic and industrial research partners.
- Manage the new product regulatory approval process in Canada and internationally.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A Ph.D. degree in nanotechnology, material sciences, or related physical sciences.
- At least 5 years of experience in leading a team of researchers in an industrial R&D unit, university department, or a public sector research
- Excellent research track record, backed up by high-impact, peer-reviewed scientific publications and/or granted patents.
- Experience in negotiating research contracts and intellectual property agreements.
- Experience in formulating original research plans, seeking funding support, building up laboratories, and hiring and managing researchers and support staff.
- Negotiation skills in partnership development, IP sharing, raising capital, etc.
- A deep understanding of the nuances of international partnerships and markets.
- Desirable: Experience in diverse work environments, including international experience.
Location of Work
The CTO will be primarily working from our Administrative and R&D unit at
3730 Laird Road, Unit 2, Mississauga ON L5L 5Z7
With responsibility to remotely oversee a team (of 2 to 3) at
160 Frobisher Drive, Unit 5, Waterloo, ON N2V 2B1
Reference ID: C21A
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $125,000 per year
How to Apply
Interested candidates can submit a resume including list of publications and/or patents, and three references
Email your application to: email@example.com
Or by post mail to: 3730 Laird Road, Unit 2, Mississauga ON L5L 5Z7.
Lumentra fully implements all provincial government regulations and restrictions during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Lumentra is a dynamic young company specializing in solutions for the LED industry. We develop novel phosphors for improving the efficiency and colour qualities of LEDs and thermal management solutions. Lumentra also provides cutting-edge Solid State Lighting solutions, as well as advanced, standards-based photometric, thermal, and electrical characterization for lighting manufacturers. We are ISO 17025/NVLAP accredited. We are currently diversifying into light-activated nanomaterial solutions for antimicrobial applications.